Anything that tastes good is likely to contain a fair amount of butter and cream, and mashed potatoes are no exception.
Mashed Potato ingredients
- 3 pounds russet potatoes
- 1/2 pounds unsalted butter
- 1 cup heavy cream (or half and half or milk)
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
Mashed Potato Process
- Peel the potatoes and cut into 1 inch chunks. Place in a heavy pot and cover with cold water. Add 1 tbsp kosher salt.
- Place over medium high heat and bring to a simmer. Boil the potatoes for 20-30 minutes or until very tender when pierced with a knife.
- Drain the potatoes well and allow them to sit in the colander until they begin to turn white on the edges. Spread the potatoes on a cookie sheet and place in oven at 350 for 5-7 minutes or until very dry.
- Run the potatoes through a food mill or potato ricer.
- Scald the cream and butter together in a small sauce pan.
- Add the cream and butter to the potatoes and stir gently until the desired consistency is reached.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve hot.