This is a delicious peanut sauce. I can't really say that it fits a particular cultural style, but it is a blend of various different recipes and most closely resembles a "Thai Satay" sauce.
coconut milk (optional)
curry paste (optional)
brown sugar (optional)
hot sauce to taste
1) coat the bottom of the pan with just enough oil to cover it and put over low heat
2) add in peanut butter stirring frequently until peanut butter is melted (NOTE: don't let it sit on the heat and burn, this is very sad when it happens)
3) dice and add in garlic, onion, cilantro and brown sugar (well, my super dried out brown sugar needs to be diced, maybe not yours)
4) add in soy sauce, stir until it's a homogeneous consistency
5) add in coconut milk and curry, again, stirring until homogeneous
6) add in hot sauce and/or peppers
Eat. Generally speaking I like this sauce so much that I end up licking the sauce pan at the end of the meal.