Well, here we are. Drupal 7's release is imminent and once again here are some statistics for folks to review. This is a truly amazing feat: over 950 people were credited in the commit messages as a contributor to Drupal 7. There were, of course, several thousand people involved in the issue queue but a mention in the commit message is reserved for people who did a serious amount of work whether that was writing code, design, reviewing, creating tests, writing text (i.e. documentation), or some other form.
Analysis of the Drupal Commit Data
Here are some items I noticed.
- There were 954 people mentioned.
- A total of 10,091 mentions in 6,117 patches means that there were about 1.6 people per patch
- The top 10 people were mentioned in 30% of the commits
- The top 20% were mentioned in 85%
- People with 3 or fewer mentions form a group that are responsible for almost 10% of the mentions; we can't discount that long tail!
If we group people together into 9 somewhat logical groupings we can see this classic distribution.
|Mentions||People at that level|
The top 10 Drupal 7 Contributors (as measured by this method)